For an agile developer or any professional software you write code in a given programming language, the goal is not only to make specific functionality without bugs and do what the product owner expected. The code quality is very important and is very related to the performance, the scalability of the app and much more things than you would expect.
Recall that in the overall software development process, the coding part occupies a very small within all actions and overall space, non-functional requirements expected of a good professional.
I always recommend to read the bible of code quality, yes… I’m talking about “Clean Code“
10 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR CODE QUALITY
- Better to fight a tiny monster than a big one. Make small functions, small clases and keep things tiny as long as you can.
- Be careful with IFs
- Learn about design patterns.
- Don’t use too many arguments on your methods.
- Every variable should be understandable without comments. In fact everything on your app. Don’t call a variable like “x1″.
- Remove duplication merciless.
- Encapsulate. Always extract methods is you can.
- Be object oriented.
- Study SOLID principles. At least “S”, “I” and “D”.
- Let your IDE help you. Learn about your IDE. Is your tool.