In this article I will be talking about a few tips about how agile development in 2017 has change or… what we have learned doing agile. Of course Agile methodology is something alive.
What has changed in Agile methodology?
Actually nothing has changed, but we have some more experience dealing with teams and with diferent situations. Based on that experience with dozens of sprints, we have notice that:
- Sometimes, the use story don’t need to be specific with the value description.
- We don’t use “sprint-0”. When we integrate devs and design profesionals, we use an alternative backlog to prepare the user stories.
- Some teams don’t really need daily meetings.
- Pair programming is very important.
In agile, when you thing something has no sense, probably does not
How often do we do the “daily meeting” only because it is agile, or do we force ourselves to use agile tools? Even when they are not at all necessary…
Yes… sometimes we do a practice just because is agile.
Agile is not following an established path, it is in fact, making that path of yours. That is not to say that you don’t need to follow some rules … in fact one has to be very strict in the application of agile principles, but they are just that … principles of which the whole agile liturgy comes off.
1 Points we have changed on agile project management
1. Focus on the “ready for development” definition
The backbone of the sprint is the backlog. As long as the backlog is properly created by a professional everything will go smooth.
- Do small User Stories
- Better if they are grouped by Epics
- Don’t do User Stories that are not clear enought
- Make a rich User Story with included designs, using high fidelity mockups
- Don’t forget to explain the acceptance criteria
- Only when the User Story is ready with all information, move it to the development backlog
2. Be water my friend
Agile is an alive methodology that can <obviously> change and fit your requirements.
- Don’t try to follow agile prescriptions when does not serve an specific purpose
- Try many diferent “agile flavours”
- Keep changing !