Last Thursday 30th of July, Apiumtech attended Go Mobile First event at The Sheraton SaiGon Hotel & Tower. That is one of the biggest mobile marketing conferences in Vietnam with speakers from worldwide companies as Google, Unilever, Mindshare, Lazada and one of the largest corporations in Vietnam: Viettel, Adtima (VNG).
In the past few years, the mobile industry has been incredibly growing. In fact, more and more people prefer using their mobile phones to surf the web rather than using their desktops or laptops; it has become a common behavior. Nowadays, with your smartphone, you can almost do anything; shopping, listening to music, reading a book, relaxing with your favorite game, joining social activities… and finally, by using mobile marketing strategies the right way, you can even increase your business’s revenues. To understand how fast the mobile industry is growing and how the user’s behavior has been changing, let’s have a look at some recent statistics:
MOBILE MARKETING STATISTICS
- M-Commerce represents 23% of e-commerce in Europe in 2015 and could reach 50% by 2017.
- Although mobile is not the main shopping channel, it plays an important role in the overall shopping journey, with 83% of British smartphone users comparing prices, 69% looking for offers and promotions and 79% using mobile to look for reviews.
- Mobile digital media time in the US is now significantly higher at 51% compared to desktop (42%).
Lazada Group’s revenue contribution increased by 50% in the second quarter of 2015 (July, Head of Marketing Mobile at Lazada Vietnam)
Now let’s stop looking at numbers for a minute, it’s actually quite easy to notice the increase of smartphone usage. Take a look around you and you will be able to see how often people are focused on their mobile screen.
Mobile marketing is a must-have strategy for most of business firms now. During the event, professional speakers shared their experiences and explained how it helps acquire and reach new customers in their business.
3 HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE EVENT
- “Do you have a mobile friendly website?” is the first thing you need to ask yourself if you want to develop a mobile marketing plan (Head of Media at Unilever Vietnam). Your audience/target will look at your information with a smaller screen instead of other channels.The question here is how do you make it more effective? Well, you have to make sure that what is displayed on the small screen is the most important set of features for your customers and your business. In order to do that, you really need to know the exact expectations of your target.
- Today’s shopper is an online shopper (Mindshare). User’s behavior has changed. We already know that e-commerce has significantly grown in the past few years, we know how convenient it is to shop online! And now, shopping via your mobile is getting easier and even more comfortable as you can shop from every where with a device that you can keep in your pocket or your handbag.
- The video content is growing spectacularly on the Internet and it is becoming more and more important for mobile phones. It’s the best way to tell your brand’s story (Head of Mobile at Google). Video content marketing is highly engaging. In fact, in 2012, video content marketing was rated the largest boost of all content marketing tactics, skyrocketing as high as 70%. It has become a common source of information and entertainment for people, and it also is a new way for businesses to communicate their brand online.
As we have seen, mobile marketing is getting more and more important and it has been growing quite quickly. If a business is not able to increase engagement and customer’s satisfaction through mobile experience, than there are big chances that they will loose some consumers to competitors.
2015 is the year of “mobile – first”. Get it to work on mobile first and let all platforms follow, John Fox, Venture Marketing.